Modafinil and Adrafinil are considered eugeroics. These are agents that promote wakefulness in users. They work by promoting mental arousal in individuals, which makes these two drugs different from traditional stimulants like caffeine, amphetamines, etc. which boost wakefulness by increasing the overall physiological and nervous activity all over the body.
In this side by side comparison of Adrafinil and Modafinil, we take a look at what these drugs are and what they are prescribed for as well as how these they work in your body.
Both these drugs are popular stimulant nootropics which produce effects that are virtually the same. They are well-known for boosting brainpower while temporarily decreasing sleepiness and fatigue. Just keep in mind that although these are powerful medications that work effectively to keep you awake and alert, they are not meant as a replacement for a good night’s sleep.
Before comparing the differences, here are some of the similarities between the two drugs:
Similarities Between Adrafinil and Modafinil
How They Work
Adrafinil and Modafinil are used in the treatment of sleep disorders such as narcolepsy and are preferred by many patients because of their specific action compared to various other stimulants. They primarily target brain chemical systems (hypothalamus and amygdala) as opposed to working on the entire nervous system.
The drugs increase the brain’s output of histamine and norepinephrine, which contributes to alertness, enhanced memory, and executive function, as well as general cognition. Because their effects aren’t based on boosting overall psychomotor activity, these two eugeroic drugs work more gradually in providing ‘smoother’ energy and they wear off in a manner that is gentler than other stimulants.
This means that users don’t experience a lot of the agitation and euphoria which is associated with the use of amphetamines. This also eliminates the ‘crash’ that is typical of sleep deprivation produced by stimulants.
Benefits and effects
When ingested, Adrafinil powder gets metabolized by the liver, and it is then converted into Modafinil, an active metabolite. The remainder is metabolized into the inactive modafinil acid. As Adrafinil is the precursor of the drug Modafinil, it makes sense that both drugs have a similar mechanism of action and that their benefits and side effects are the same:
- Adrafinil and Modafinil are extremely effective for increasing wakefulness and promoting alertness.
- Both drugs inhibit the drive to sleep and delay the onset of fatigue by reducing the user’s perception of tiredness.
- These eugeroics produce more consolidated periods of alertness and wakefulness without rebound sleepiness.
- The two closely related compounds boost concentration and focus which helps to increase productivity.
Differences Between Adrafinil and Modafinil
Although close to identical in various ways, these two drugs have significant differences:
- Dosage and Strength. Adrafinil is significantly less potent than Modafinil which requires lower doses in order to achieve the same levels of effectiveness. This difference can be attributed to the fact that the Adrafinil isn’t converted to Modafinil in its fullness. Doses of Modafinil range between 100mg to 200mg, although there have been reports of daily doses up to 400mg. On the other hand, Adrafinil doses range between 300mg and 600mg, with some reported doses up to 1,200mg per day.
- Duration of Effectiveness. Based on studies and user reviews, Modafinil has a quicker onset of action than Adrafinil since the latter must first be processed in the liver before its full effect can be felt. Modafinil takes effect and is at peak levels in the system within just 60 to 90 minutes after being ingested. Adrafinil may take up to an hour more for the medication to reach peak levels within the blood. The half-life of Adrafinil is only about 5 hours while Modafinil lasts up to 14 hours.
- Toxicity. The potential for toxicity is higher in long-term, high-dosage use of Adrafinil since it needs to be metabolized by the liver. There have been reports, albeit rare ones, associated with liver toxicity as well as elevated liver enzymes in Adrafinil users.
- Legal Status. This is yet another key way in which these two eugeroic drugs are different. Although both are banned by the World Anti-Doping Association as performance-enhancing drugs, Adrafinil is unregulated and available in most countries without a prescription. Conversely, Modafinil is listed currently as a schedule IV controlled substance in the US and Canada, as well as the majority of European nations.
- Cost. Being generic drugs, both Adrafinil and Modafinil are available at lower prices than their brand name original versions. However, Adrafinil is widely available and can be obtained at a lower price than Modafinil.
So Which One Is Right For You?<
When it comes to choosing which of these two drugs is the best one for your needs, the final decision may have to lie with your physician based on the type of condition being treated, as well as various other factors. However, purely from a practical standpoint, Adrafinil offers a better option for users in the short term.
There are several reasons for this:
- Firstly, and most importantly, Adrafinil isn’t regulated, and it can be purchased legally without a prescription.
- Secondly, the cost of the drug is a major factor to consider for most people, which means that you will be able to save a lot of money by using the less expensive drug.
- The third reason is that if you’re a prescription buyer who is interested in using Adrafinil for off-label purposes, then its shorter half-life makes it an ideal option for you.
Adrafinil is also available in a range of dosages to suit different needs. This means that you will be able to easily schedule your doses to ensure that your regular sleep patterns aren’t disturbed.
But whether you’re in the market for eugeroics for treating a sleep disorder or if you want the drug for its nootropic benefits, you stand to benefit immensely from either Adrafinil or Modafinil. Your choice of which drug to use will ultimately depend on the factors listed above.
Where to Buy Adrafinil or Modafinil
If you’re wondering where to buy Adrafinil or Modafinil online, simply click the link below to get high-quality medications at extremely low prices from a reliable online pharmacy.